Friday, July 10, 2009

Oops, I think I broked it

After buying my sweet new ride my budget was tapped and I had to reach into my parts bin for used wheels from my stock of used wheels. The first wheelset I installed was a set of King hubs laced to Bontrager rims from 2001 or so. I bought them for pennies from a former coworker who was getting out of the sport. Although they were well built, I thrashed them for 3 years before finally relegating them to the parts bin (mismatched spokes and all). I figured I might as well finish them off so I could justify a rebuild for the new bike. It didn't take me very long and after two rides on the new rig, the rear is finished.

I went deeper into my parts bin for the next rear wheel, a King ISO hub laced to a hefty Sun rim that I built with straight gauge spokes in my "hucking" days. By hucking I mean falling over 3 foot drops and usually tacoing the front wheel. Anyway, this is one of the first wheels I ever built (I am reminded of this when I look at the valve stem that is not properly located between straight spokes, ugh). What was I saying? Oh yeah, I intended to install this wheel on the new rig. As I removed the old disc rotor and cassette body I quickly realized things were not right.

I apparently snapped the axle on this wheel, though not having ridden it in 1+ year I can't remember where or when this might have happened.

I just finished talking to Chris King and they are more than happy to work with me on the repair. Not only did a live person answer my call, but that live person was able to accurately and confidently answer every one of my questions. It's so rare these days to get that level of service from any company, let alone a bike company. But I guess if you are going to expect it anywhere in the Bike Biz, Chris King would be the first place I'd look. So, for $125 a new axle is on its way. When they get my broken one back, I'll get a credit for the cost. In the meantime, I'm stealing my wife's wheels (which are nicer than any of mine anyway). Hope she doesn't mind...

2 comments:

DRjr said...

Yeah, those Chris King folks are good people. And you should always make sure your wife has better stuff than you, that way, you can use it against her when you "need" to upgrade. "But Honey, your wheelset is so much better, I need to upgrade mine to keep up with you."

RMM said...

My wife and I had a spat about who gets to use the mud tires in this weekend's race.
Obviously, she won.
I need to buy new mud tires so that I can use the old ones...