Sunday, December 16, 2007

5.5 miles in 80 minutes

Sometimes I don't travel far, but still spend a lot of time and energy to get to my destination. On Thursday Boston was pounded with fast falling snow that left 8-10 inches in 6-7 hours time. It was as if the city didn't own a single plow or sander.


Since I had ridden to work in the morning, I figured I should ride home as well rather than ask my wife to venture out in such weather. It was comical really. I spent the majority of my 5.5 mile commute walking and carrying my bike through stopped traffic. The roads were parking lots with people abandoning cars, turning off their engines, and generally looking miserable. I on the other hand, had a big smile on my face as people laughed from overcrowded bus stops or within fogged cars. My response: "I'll be home a lot sooner than any of you!"


I was able to walk considerably faster than the traffic. Outside of major intersections I was able to ride/slide in the packed tire tracks, pedestrian packed sidewalks, or the fluff covered bike lane. I traversed Watertown, Allston, Brighton, Brookline, and into JP before arriving home. I haven't had that much fun on my bicycle in a long time.


I heard from my neighbors that it took as long as 5 hours to drive the same distance that I had spent 80 minutes walking/riding/sliding. Somedays it really sucks to be in a car.

3 comments:

pvb said...

So much fun that you peed your pants?

Unknown said...

what, do you expect me to stop and unzip when it is snowing like that?

Daniel M Roth said...

There's no riding like snow riding! Some of my best bike memories are rides in the snow. Have fun digging out.